Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

How many times can I break till I shatter?

I love OAR. My brother got me hooked on their "That was a Crazy Game of Poker" song awhile ago, and have listened to them ever since. Needless to say, my IPod running mix features many OAR songs. I find them easy to run to, and since I like them, it just works.

How many times can I break till I shatter? This is a line in OAR's song "Shattered," which I was listening today while running. I kept think about this line...and think that I am at a breaking point in my life, but hope that I do not shatter. I need a change of pace, and desperately! Being a perfectionist is hard work...and something that requires tons of effort.

My running has been going okay...I ran a nice 7.5 today with a 0.5 mile cool down in a decent time. I did not plan on running all out, and wanted to take it easier because my body was hurting today. After a nice, relaxing run I lifted some light weights before calling it quits for the day.

So I have been reading diabetic running and cycling blogs and need to know some advice. Almost everyone starts out their run/ride in the lower 100s, but then refuel throughout their workout. Is it weird that I do not refuel at all? For example, today I started at a nice 92 and had 1 glucose tablet. I ran my 7.5 miles and after lifting checked again and was at 81. I suspend when I run, but turn the insulin back on when I am lifting. After my half hour drive home, I was 130 (mind you, I did not eat anything since my 1 glucose tablet).

This got me wondering...how can people suspend their pump and intake carbs during runs/rides? I feel like if I did that my blood sugar would spike a lot. Maybe it is because of my basal rates? In the afternoons I get no more than 0.35 units/hour (at the highest point). Any thoughts?

So....how many times can I break till I shatter? Being a perfectionist and extremely hard worker, to the outsider I will never shatter (or hope it appears that way); but on the inside, I might have a few more pieces left to be broken before I shatter. Hopefully I can heal myself, my mind, my body, my soul quickly to get back together.

1 comment:

  1. I turn my basal rate down, but do not suspend for a run. If I suspended my insulin, I could probably run longer without refueling, but that's not something I want to do.
    I want to be able to take in fuel while exercising for a long time, to keep my reserves as long as I can.
    Going without insulin is bad for you even if you keep your blood sugar close to the normal range. You can burn a certain amount of glucose with little or no insulin, but the cells are giving up stored energy and they are not able to rebuild.

    ReplyDelete