Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Dear World

Dear World,

I have type 1 diabetes and I wear an insulin pump. It is much different than an iPod or iTouch, both of which I have, or a pager. Did you take time to analyze the device I wear before you assumed it was any of the things mentioned above? Did you notice that my insulin pump tubing is CLEAR and does not connect to my ears? It connects to my stomach. And, does anyone wear pagers anymore? Personally, I do not know a single person who has one. Do you? Weren’t they popular in the 80s and 90s, when I was a child and not an adult?

After you asked me what was on my side, and I replied “it is an insulin pump because I have diabetes” did it ever cross your mind to say anything other than “oh”? Do you have any idea how important this insulin pump is not only to my health, but to my life?

World, would you please stop asking me if I have a pager attached to my hip. It shows me that you are fairly ignorant, did not take the time to actually look at the device before saying something, and need more education about type 1 diabetes. It would be helpful if you became more informed on diabetes, and, hopefully by reading this blog, you will be. I hope to run into you again when you are more informed on the topic.

Love,
Queenie

1 comment:

  1. Amen, amen, amen. I've been asked if I was "on call". And I said, "no, I'm just the patient... (remove pump and show them details) See???" At least your blog will help them learn. =)

    ReplyDelete