Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

How much is too much? How much is too little?

When I first started my blog a little over a year ago I was living in a different state, working at a different school, and, in many senses, had a different life that what I am living today. As you know if you read my blog, I am a teacher. Although there are many, many benefits to being a teacher, there is one drawback: disclosure.

When I started teaching at my new school this year, the technology coordinator told the faculty and staff that we should not have a blog or twitter or facebook accounts. She said that we should discontinue our facebook accounts immediately so our students and parents could not find us. I wanted to yell "ARE YOU CRAZY???" Facebook is the way I stay in touch with many of my friends from high school, college, and other parts of my life. I knew that I was not going to give that up. I thought it was not a reasonable request.

Then I started thinking about my blog. Although I didn't blog in the fall, I knew I did not want to give this up as well. I'm smart enough not to post names of parents, students, faculty/staff, or my school on my blog. I feel like a lot of it is common sense.

After reading the comments (thank you!) on my last post, where Katie and jpnair called me Queenie made me laugh. To give you a little history, Queenie is a nickname my mom and sometimes, although rarely, my dad call me. My brother and sister tagged me with it when I was in college because when I would come home they thought my mom would wait on me hand and foot, like a queen. Therefore, Queenie became a name I answer to.

Sometimes I wish I could just write my real name on this blog. I feel like there is an issue of trustworthiness when someone doesn't reveal their "real" name - like, what are they hiding? I wish I could share more, but I don't want anyone at my school to find my blog.

Is this a normal response to a blog for a school or company? I'm interested in hearing your opinions and views on the subject.

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of anyone else getting a request like that. I'm not surprised that it might happen, though, especially in a field like yours.
    I think your common sense attitude is better, and I don't think any less of any blogger for using a pseudonym.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blog was anonymous for a long while too, until I decided to finally re-emerge in the advocacy field as myself. I felt (and sometimes still feel) the same way about not wanting people to find me. I totally understand not using your real name. My (old) work blog required that I use my REAL first and last name; Which I hated b/c when you Google-d me, those blog entries came up. I suppose I could have insisted I use a nickname... But I hear you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just found you! I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with both pregnancy, despite being fit and eating healthy. now i need to be tested annually they tell me. ugh! so glad i came across your blog.

    ReplyDelete