Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dreams Be Dreams...

Jack Johnson, anyone? Putting on his music after a hectic day is something I greatly enjoy. Right now my Jack play list just happens to be on Dreams Be Dreams. Now, to get to the point...

Growing up I never knew what I wanted to do with my life. Some days I wanted to sell houses, others I wanted to be in the business world. I ended up as a teacher, and love my job. Teaching 5th grade can be fun and tiring at the same time. This year I have a wonderful class. Seriously, I could not ask for a better group of students.

This is my 4th year teaching, and I feel like I've experienced an array of students with varying abilities. Last year I had a child with asperger's syndrome in my room. I've had many students with ADD or ADHD, one dyslexic student, and some other issues. However, this year I have a student with diabetes in my room.

I knew that I was going to have her in my homeroom last year and it has been motivating for me. If you live with diabetes or any other 24/7 health condition, you know that you go through ups and downs. Some days I'll test 10 times while others only 4 or so. Some days I am in range all day and others I could not hit my range if my life depended on it.

One thing I have noticed is that having a child with diabetes in my classroom has made me more conscious of my own diabetes. All of the students are aware of testing from my one student so it was nice on the first day I could just tell them I had diabetes and they already knew what it was and what comes along with it (testing, sometimes eating, etc.).

Two weekends ago I walked in the JDRF walk, on the team my student had. It was a wonderful experience. There were multiple students who came out to walk with her and parents as well. I had not walked in the JDRF walk for many years, and debated walking it this year because it was early in the morning (according to my weekend standards - 8 a.m.), but am glad I did.

I am always amazed at the variety of people in my life that have a positive impact on me or inspire me to be a better person. This one student in my class is such a person for me. Do you have any people like that in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment