Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

PT...Here I Come

My nagging knee seemed to be getting worse after the QC half and resulted in me hardly running at all the past two weeks. I was never certain what was going to happen...sometimes I would be fine for 5 miles, other times it would hurt to stride at mile 3. I never knew, and it was frustrating me. My running was suffering and my next race, a 15k the first week of November, is not that far off. I needed to get my miles logged!

So, I did what I hate doing: I called the doctor. I hate going to the doctor. In fact, there are only 3 conditions in which I will go:

1. For an endocrinology appointment. I believe seeing my diabetes doctor is important because I get valuable feedback on how I am doing and ways in which I can improve.

2. If I can't run. This was obviously the reason I called the sports medicine doctor.

3. If I feel like I am going to die. Luckily, this has never happened.

If I cannot categorize going to the doctor into one of the categories listed above, I won't go. I am also very picky about my doctors and often tend to dislike them for various reasons. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the doctor I went to today.

He had me do some squats and looked at my knee. He seemed to know right away what the problem was and told me some exercises to do to fix them. However, he told me I needed to go to physical therapy to get healed quicker. So, for the next 6 weeks, I get to go to physical therapy three times a week. I'm sure you're jealous. Don't you wish you could spend an hour of your day stretching and flexing your quad muscles that are not properly balanced?

My doctor told me I could keep running and doing whatever I wanted, which I must say I was shocked to hear. But, I was so happy to hear those words come out of his mouth. If you have been reading my blog, you know that running brings me great happiness. I was able to run 5 miles today which felt wonderful and know that going to physical therapy will help. It will probably make me a stronger runner. Let the happy miles continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment