Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Destination Race

Lately, I have been searching for races and trying to figure out what I'm going to be running this spring, summer, fall, and into next winter. Originally I wanted to run at least one race every month, but then realized that was not going to happen because there are just not many races offered in the winter months in Illinois and the surrounding areas. As I mentioned yesterday, I'm doing a 5k for St. Patrick's Day, but other than that my schedule is free. Ever since getting my stress fracture in 2009, I am hesitant to sign up for races far in advance. However, it is always fun to look to see what is going on.

This year I REALLY want to do a destination race. The thought is nerve-racking and incredibly exacting to me at the same time. I realize that this will be challenging for me on multiple levels - I want to do it on my own, as in go to the place by myself and not with anyone else. Usually I have someone else to give my stuff to, but that would not be possible in this situation. I think it would be fun to just go and run somewhere completely new. I've got my eyes on a couple of different races and am trying to put together a tentative schedule for the year. This is always hard because there are so many races I want to run in, but only so much time and training for them in order to PR or even run well. Hopefully by this weekend I'll get things sorted out and posted.

But, I need some feedback. Have you ever done a destination race? How did it go? Would you recommend any races to me? I'll probably be doing a half marathon for my destination race.

No comments:

Post a Comment