Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Special Gifts

For the past 3 years, my mom has given me, my brother, and my sister a special, sentimental gift for Christmas. It is always my favorite present because it means so much more than a normal gift. Yes, I got some "normal" gifts this year that I asked for...a new pair of running tights, some jewelry, a few books, money, but my favorite gift is always that special one, that my mom has taken time to think about.

The first year she gave each of us a piece of artwork that she made in high school. One quality that I greatly admire in my mom is the fact that she saves almost everything, but you'd never know it because she is so organized. She was interviewed by my sister's friend for on of her classes and rediscovered her high school artwork that she kept - 4 pieces. My mom framed each of them and chose which one she wanted me, my brother, sister and dad to have. I don't remember what my sister got, but my dad got this drawing of a piece of corn. How fitting, since she grew up and they live in Iowa. I think he has it hanging in his office at work. My brother got this runner print that my mom made, which was super neat. I loved it. My mom was a runner in high school, which was probably the inspiration for that piece. I was given a flower pot rice piece of artwork, which I now have hanging in my bedroom. It is nice to always be reminded of my mom, since I love her dearly.

Last year each of us was given 6 stamp envelopes that were framed vertically. My grandpa, my mom's dad, collected stamps and gave all of the newly released envelopes to my mom when she was in college. He died 16 years ago, but the envelopes have his name and company printed on them. My mom went through dozens of envelopes and picked out stamps that fit us. Some of mine include one on love, another one on Harriet Tubman, and one from Africa.

This year I didn't know what to expect. I told my mom that this special gifts was my favorite each year, and she promised I would get something from her. The gift this year is unique - my siblings and I each got a Time magazine "The Year in Pictures" from the year we were born. Apparently my parents subscribed to Time when we were younger and my mom saved a couple end of the year magazines, something I never knew. It was so interesting to look through the old magazine, especially at ads for cars and cigarettes.

I always feel so lucky that she is my mom, but then again I'm somewhat biased.

No comments:

Post a Comment