Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Probably Not the Smartest Idea

My first duathlon is 8 days away, and I still didn't have a bike until this morning.  I guess that is technically not true - I took my mom's old mountain bike last summer for some training, but I wanted a "real" bike for racing.  This morning I went to a local bike shop and bought a road bike.  I've been wanting to get one for a year and knew that I wanted to race with it for my duathlon, and this morning was the first time I could really go and get it.  It probably wasn't the smartest idea to wait until one week before a race to buy a bike that I have absolutely no experience using, but that is exactly what I did.  Monday I don't have school so I'll be teaching myself how to ride on the bike so hopefully I'll do okay on Saturday.  My favorite comments from the experience were:

"You look like you would be really fast on the bike based on your body type."  Really?  Because I always feel like the worlds slowest biker. Apparently tall, lean people are fast bikers?  I always thought short people were faster bikers, generally speaking. 

Have you ever bought a bike a week before a race?  Do you think I'll be able to teach myself how to effectively ride in one day?  If you have any tips for me, I'd be most appreciative! 

No comments:

Post a Comment