Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

Spring Race Schedule

Happy April Fools Day!  I am not a big fan of April Fools Day because I like to believe people, and, therefore, have been tricked a few times.  My dad always used to like joking with me and my siblings when we were growing up.  When I was younger, I played basketball year-round and was a huge Reggie Miller fan.  One year my dad woke me up early and told me that Reggie had been traded to the New York Knicks.  It wasn't until later in the day that I realized it was a joke.  If you followed basketball in the 90s, you would know how devastating that trade would be for a Pacer fan!

I finalized my spring race schedule last night and am excited for it.  I realized when looking at my miles for the month of March that I took a lot of rest days, which are good, but also because I raced two times.  I'm hoping my spring races will be fun and challenging.  They are:

*April 17 - 10k Spring Ahead race 
April 30 - Peanut Butter Duathlon
May 15 - Rockford Half Marathon
May 29 - Dash to Cure Diabetes 4 mile trail race
June 12 - Chicagoland Tour de Cure bike ride

A few notes about each of the races...

April 17 10k Spring Ahead: I'm not 100% sure if I'm doing it or not.  It depends how I feel with my training and if I feel like racing that weekend.  I'll probably decide the day before.

April 30 Peanut Butter Duathlon: My first multi-sport event!!  I chose this duathlon because of the name.  I eat a ton of peanut butter, so I thought it was only fitting that I participated in it.  I'm excited to try it out and have some fun.  I am not putting any pressure on myself to do well.  The event is a 2 mile run, 14 mile bike on trails, and then another 2 mile run.  I know it will be a learning experience, which is good.

May 15 Rockford Half Marathon: I'm going to train with longer runs so my pace does not slip in the last three miles.  The half and full are together through 12.5 miles, so I plan on running with the 3:20 pacer for the majority of the race and then finishing strong on my own.  I'm looking for the ever-coveted 1:30-something finish. 

May 29 Dash to Cure Diabetes: I am running this race solely because it benefits diabetes research and I like to run.  Win, win!  Plus, I've only run a 4-mile race one time before....way back in 2006 and didn't record my time.  Plus, it will be fun to run on trails.

June 12 Tour de Cure bike ride: I'm going to be cross-training a lot by biking and thought this would be some good motivation to keep me riding.  One of my friends said she would ride with me, and my brother might as well.  You get to choose to ride either 15, 30, 60, or 100 miles.  I'm thinking either 30 or 60.  Plus, I'll be a Red Rider, which will be neat. 

What is your spring race schedule look like?  Do you have any events on it that you've never done before?  I'm excited for my first duathlon!

No comments:

Post a Comment