Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Little Late...Diabetes Blog Week Day 4 Post

I stopped participating in Diabetes Blog Week because of my half marathon, but it is better to post late than never, right? 

Thursday's post topic, where I left off, was Ten Things I Hate about you, Diabetes.

"Having a positive attitude is important . . . but let’s face it, diabetes isn’t all sunshine and roses. So today let’s vent by listing ten things about diabetes that we hate."

I try not to let the things I don't like about diabetes take up my time.  Diabetes is going to be with me for a (most likely) long time.  Complaining about it won't do anything.  But, there are things that I think would be much different in my life if I did not have diabetes. 

Can you guess what I'm thinking? 

Running and racing, of course.  So, here is my list....

10 Things I Hate about you, Diabetes: Running/Sports Edition

1.  That I must carry some type of low supply with me while running.  Sometimes I just want my hands to be free.

2.  That I should check before my run multiple times to see what my blood sugar is doing.  Going out for a random run is harder.

3.  That I should be checking my blood sugar while I am running, but never have.  Because of this, I feel guilty.

4.  That some sports cause me to go low while doing them (running), while others will send me extremely low many hours after them (biking).

5.  That even when you think you've figured something out blood-sugar wise, it does not mean it will work the same way again.

6.  Three words: Insulin.  On.  Board.

7.  Playing volleyball, basketball, and other sports with my insulin pump.  I wish I could ditch it sometimes.

8.  People asking me if my pump is a new Ipod/cell phone pre-race. 

9.  The fact that I'm at risk for getting many other health problems because I have diabetes. 

10.  Diabetes is like a fan.  If the fan is on your team, it is easy to play (live).  If they are rooting against you, they are annoying and many times frustrating.  However, they are relatively easy to tune out if need be.  That sums up diabetes pretty well for me.

1 comment: