Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

The Waiting Game

I want to preface this post by saying that I still hope to have an epic summer.  Although, my definition of epic might change.

*  *  *  *  *   *   *

There are three things in life that I strongly believe it:
  1. A person will not be given more than they can handle.
  2. Everything that happens in your life can be a learning opportunity.
  3. Running is great for the mind and body, and many good thoughts and ideas can stem from it.
Recently my running times have been getting slower and slower.  I know that I took the week after my half (May 15) easy, but I've still been running.  And with each run, it has gotten harder and harder.  Running a 7:30 mile is almost impossible now, and to hold that pace for more than 1 mile is impossible. 

On Sunday I went out for what was supposed to be an 11-mile run in preparation for the Madison to Chicago relay.  I made it 6, having to stop at mile 2.5 to regain composure.  This was the icing on the cake. 

I knew something was wrong a few weeks ago.  I've attempted numerous 10-11 mile runs since my half, only to fail and do half of the distance.  After thinking about what was happening, I decided to go get my blood drawn.  My doctor gave me a sheet with all the results he wanted for my appointment in July and told me to get it done sometime before that.  Friday was a day that worked for me. 

The weird thing about going to get my blood drawn was that they told me that they could not give me a copy of the results.  They said my doctor had to sign something saying I could get the results.  I didn't want to make a big deal, and knowing how relaxed my doctor is, I thought I could just call him instead and talk to his nurse.

Today I called the nurse, left a message.  Another nurse called back because my doctor's nurse does not work on Monday.  She left a very vague message: "This is S--, calling from Doctor S's office.  Please call back tomorrow to talk to M, your nurse, about you blood work." 

Let the waiting game begin.  But you know I'll be on the phone when I wake up.  At this point, I know something is wrong.  I might have low iron again, even though I have taken iron pills for the last year.  Or, it might be something else.  Who knows?  All I know is that I want the information.  It is impossible to solve anything without information. 

2 comments:

  1. There is no reason to stress about it now, since you can't do anything. I know easier said than done... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect attitude... it's the best way to handle this scary stuff. And there's a lot of "simple" things it probably is: low iron, low thyroid, etc... One's common to runners, and the other's common to diabetics.

    As someone in the medical profession once told me, "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras."

    Good thoughts going your way!

    M

    ReplyDelete