Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Marathon Training Update

I'm currently in week 6 of marathon training, with only 12 more weeks to go.  I can't believe there are less than 90 days until the marathon.  In one sense, it seems like a long ways aways, but on the other hand, I know it will be here before I know it. 

My marathon training looks like this:

Monday: Rest day - always

Tuesday: Track work - different every week.  Today was 16 x 400 with 200 recoveries, with the 400s at 5k pace or faster (mine were about 5 seconds faster and felt good...my last one was at 1:22, the slowest was 1:36)

Wednesday: Short run at a slower pace - typically 3 or 4 miles

Thursday: 6 or so miles at 7:45 or 8:00 pace

Friday: Supposed to be off, but I run 3 - 5 miles

Saturday: Supposed to be 6 miles, but I run 3

Sunday: Long run...last week was 12, but this week is step-back week, so only 9 at 8:20 pace typically.  I think I want to run slower - like 8:30s - and will need to in the upcoming weeks.

* * * * *
A few random thoughts....

I run with my running club on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays and do the rest on my own.

My running group has three plans: one for novice marathoner, one for the previous marathoner, and one for the "I want to PR marathoner."  I decided to follow the previous marathoner training plan, even though I've never run a marathon before.  I thought given my running experience and passion.  Was this a good move? 

I do not run the recommended amount on Saturdays.  I understand why they recommend that distance, but I think my body does better with a lower mileage the day before a longer run.  I'm not sure if this will hurt me when I run the marathon, but it works for me, and I think that is the most important thing.

In addition to running 6 days a week, I also cross-train 6 days a week.  I typically walk, bike, and do the elliptical every day and try to lift weights at least 2 times a week. 

I don't know why, but my least favorite days are Thursdays. 

Only 9 more days until NW Passage Ragnar.  I cannot believe it.

Help!  My long run the week of Ragnar is 14 miles.  If I wanted to complete it, I would need to run it on my own, on Sunday night after I fly back to Chicago from Seattle.  I  know my legs would be tired from 3 runs in about 24 hours.  Someone told me to skip the run altogether, and just focus on the long run the following week.  What would you do?  Would you skip the long run altogether?  Or, run it Sunday night?  Help, please!

Tuesday track workouts always leave me tired, which is a good thing because that means I gave 100%.  Off to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment