Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

1 Day


Bright and early on Saturday morning, I'll be toeing the line for the start of the 4th annual Illinois Marathon.  This will be my second marathon, and I've gone through a lot of emotions.  Tapering is hard...I've found myself having more anxiety associated with this race than when I was training.  

However, after each mini-panic attack about weather, or fitness level, or blood sugar, or GU, or cramping, I remind myself that I made it through Chicago and smiled the whole entire race.  The race is a celebration of all of the training I've done in the past 4.5 months.  I remind myself that in preparation for this one race, i have run 804 miles.  I have run:

3    20+ training runs...all in different states (Illinois, California, and Iowa)
7    16-19 miles runs
7    12-15 mile runs
17   8-11 mile runs
and 79 runs 1-7 miles long

That would be a grand total of 113 runs I've run in preparation for Saturday's race.

When I look at the above stats, I feel good.  I've put in a lot of miles (for me), and gained both speed and perspective in the process.  I've learned some lessons the hard way (ChiTown half marathon and Spring Spring 10k).  I've learned the mind is so powerful.  

The weather, which was causing me to be nervous, looks practically perfect now.  The starting temperature is supposed to be in the 40s and in the upper 40s in the morning.  It is also supposed to rain (30% chance).  This will be far different than the Chicago Marathon weather this fall.  I don't think I'll be getting too warm.

I'm also excited because 15 people from my running club are running either the half or full marathon.  My training partner is the 4:25 pacer.  I couldn't be happier that she is pacing.  I wish I could run the race with her, although that time and my goal time don't exactly line up.  

With all that being said, there is only one thing left:

I believe in myself.  I can run this race, and run it well.  I believe.

1 comment: