Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

D-Blog Week: 1 Thing to Improve

Today's Diabetes Blog Week topic is:

Yesterday we gave ourselves and our loved ones a big pat on the back for one thing we are great at.  Today let’s look at the flip-side.  We probably all have one thing we could try to do better.  Why not make today the day we start working on it.  No judgments, no scolding, just sharing one small thing we can improve so the DOC can cheer us on!


The list of things I could improve upon is endless, mostly in part because I'm a perfectionist.  But, there area  few simple, manageable things I could do to improve my diabetes care.

First, I could use more of my fingers to test my blood sugar.  I only use six fingers (not my thumb or pinkie on either hand).  I test around 8 or more times a day.  I've been diabetic for over 22 years.  I've only ever tested on those 6 fingers.  My fingers are getting tired and worn out from testing.  I could easily improve the happiness level of my fingers if I were to test on all 10.

Second, much like the first, I could change my pump infusion set regularly.  I've gotten into this really bad habit of changing it when it needs to be changed, instead of when it should be changed.  This means that I sometimes wear pump sites for 5 or more days.  It takes longer for my body to recover from longer pump sites and also the insulin is not absorbed as well in days 4 and 5.

The two things I listed above are small changes that would benefit me.  I hope to improve upon them in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment