Pages

Sunday, May 27, 2012

One Year

As I was running yesterday by myself, I was thinking about life.  I find it truly amazing how much life can change in one year.  I think every facet of my life has majorly changed, too.  Not just little changes, but major things.

Family
My brother, who I am pretty close to, moved from the city where we were raised in Iowa to Colorado.  This means that instead of seeing him whenever I go to visit my parents or grandparents, I will see him one or two times a year.  I'm going to Colorado to visit him in August. 

My sister lives in LA and I got to visit her in March.  My sister and I are as different as night and day.  But, I loved visiting her in LA.  I liked it when she was in Iowa over the winter holidays.  And, in the most surprising of circumstances, I feel like we're becoming friends.  She is a journalist, so I've sent her random things that I found that made me think of her.  She's sent me some things, too.  Also, I was in an online video from the ChiTown Half Marathon and then got a few paragraphs published about me after the Illinois Marathon.  I sent the links/pictures to my family members.  She always responded with the most thoughtful words. 

Friends
It is hard to build friendships in an area where you know no one.  It took me 2 years to develop a circle of friends.  However, from that circle, I know only talk to 2 - my best friend from college (who I do not associate as part of that group), and one other person.  I don't want to go into details, but something happened and I parted ways with the group, never seeing or talking to many of them again.  Do I regret it?  Not one bit.  I don't want to be around people like that.  I would rather be friendless.  Which, it felt like I was, for awhile. 

In the past 5 months, I have made new friends.  People that I enjoy being around.  People that make me laugh.  People that i know I will have a good time with.  People that accept me for who I am and what I like to do and how I like to spend my time.  People that I can see being friends with for years down the road. 

Running
Last year, I ran by myself, 99% of the time on the treadmill.  I could not imagine going back to those ways.  I joined a running group last June and it changed my running ways.  Not only have multiple people become my friends, they've become my supporters, cheering section, and teammates.  The club gives me so much more than I can give it.  I attribute much of my running success in the past year to being part of a positive club.  I know I would not have been able to PR every single distance if it were not for them. 

School
School is stressful 98% of the time.  I teach well-off kids.  Unfortunately, that means that many of the parents are high maintenance.  However, I like teaching still after 5 years.  This year I got to teach a new subject and got to drop a different one.  This switch has made a lot of difference.  Math is my favorite class to teach, it always has been and always will be.  I guess that will never change.

Emotions
This past year has been a roller coaster of emotions.  I would say that I am happy the majority of the time, but there was a time in the late fall where I was completely ticked off.  Although I've gotten over it for the most part, when I really think about what happened it bothers me.  I cannot state enough how much communication is needed in the world. 

I could list other areas of my life, but I don't want that information visible for the world to see.  Looking back from last year at this time to this year, I can definitely say I am a happier, healthier person.  I'm curious as to what changes the next year will hold for me.

Has your life changed a lot in the past year?

No comments:

Post a Comment