Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

My Injury

As I've mentioned a lot recently, I'm injured.  It seems as though I don't have much to talk about when I'm not running.  I'll be the first person to admit that running is a huge part of my life, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Last week, after talking with some friends from my running club, I had a MRI done.  I was nervous going in, but found hope in the spaceship-like machine.  The following day, my doctor's office called me with the results.  The results were:


  • Lateral position and tilt of the patella (kneecap)
    • This means it is misaligned
  • There is cartilage damage beneath the patella
    • But, there there is no cartilage damage anywhere else which is very good news
  • It is like there is a large pothole beneath the patella, which is a focal defect
    • I don't even know what a focal defect it, but apparently I've had it since birth
  • It can be treated with surgery, but the surgery is major 
    • After looking into surgery, it is not a guarantee that my knee would be 100% better than it is now.  The surgery would take months to heal from.
  • The surgery would realign the patella and fix the cartilage defect
The doctor said that if I wanted to keep running like I am right now, I should have the surgery.

I say: why?  It is not guaranteed to fix my problem.  It is a major surgery, and I am (relatively) young.  I am  hoping my body can heal by itself, or at least cope better after a month off than be cut open.  Plus, it would be a ton of money.  I would rather spend my money registering for races instead.  

I am not having surgery.  I am going to get better.  I will come out of this injury better than before.  

I still have goals to conquer for this year...and plan to do them this fall.  1:39 half?  Totally attainable.  Sub-20 5k?  Unlikely, but I'll give it a shot.  

In the meantime, I'll never look at potholes the same way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment