Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Happiest Run

When I woke up this morning, the first thing I thought was "today I get to go running!"  I've been looking forward to this day for the past month and was excited.  However, I was also nervous.  What if my knee still hurt?  How out of shape am I?  What if I won't be able to run 3 miles?  In the end, all of those doubts got pushed out of my thought process when I laced up my new Newtons.

Yes, my socks match my shoes.  I'm a nerd like that.  They also matched my shirt.  

I wanted to make sure my Garmin still worked so I attempted to load the satellites before I drove to my favorite path to run.  They eventually loaded, but it took a while.


Once the satellites were ready to go, I started off in my favorite direction.  It felt so good to be running again, to be on the path and see other runners and cyclists and feel the sun.  I felt so happy and free and that all was right in the world.  The first 1.5 miles went quickly, and soon enough I turned around to head back in the opposite direction.  I started to feel a little tired near the end, and can tell I have not run in a month.  But, mostly I felt strong and optimistic.  When I was done, I reviewed my splits and was amazed at what I saw:

I didn't feel like I was going nearly that fast.  

I'm happy to be back, and look forward to many, many more happy miles in August.


1 comment:

  1. I actually just got over a HUGE tibia stress fracture… off my feet for 7-8 weeks. I was actually running on it until I had to crawl home, and that was when I called it quits. This week was the first week I just started up again, and I learned from my mistakes--just because you can run far/fast, doesn't mean your body’s ready for it, everything takes time. Now I’m scared and run 1-2 miles a day, going to be doing this for a month! BAH! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete