Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Lately...

Lately, my blog has been neglected for a variety of reasons.  Sure, I've had things I could have written about, or posted something on track workouts or failed/successful long runs.  But I didn't.  Life became busier (and still is), and "blog" went to the near bottom of my to-do list.  What's been going on in my life the past 17 days?  I believe only bullet points can tell the story.


  • The Schiller Chiller race affected me more than I care to admit.  It took me two weeks to mentally get back into a good running mindset.  It kills me that my last race of 2012 sucked, and it stings.  Being the anal-about-numbers person that I am, I logged onto Athlinks, quite possibly my favorite running website, and searched to see if the results were posted.  Sure enough, I found my name, although it did not automatically get claimed under my name.  I decided I didn't want to claim it, as it is not a valid time.  
  • I had my birthday last week.  My age group does not change even though I am a year older, so there is nothing much to report.  Overall, I had a great birthday.  The years truly go faster the older I get.  
  • I've been doing track still, both outside and indoors.  Yesterday I met some of my track teammates at an indoor track to run mile repeats - 6.5 laps were equal to one mile.  It was a lot of running hard, slowing down to make the turn, the picking up speed again.  Overall, I was happy: 6:40, 6:31, and 6:27 and none felt hard.  I'm hoping I can run that well at my upcoming relay.  
  • Speaking of the relay, all 4 of us, plus our track coach, have different opinions of how we should approach it.  Our goal is simple: win.  There is a timing anklet that needs to be worn at all times, and that is the cause of our dilemma.  I think we should run mile repeats, while another wants to run 2 - 5ks, another a backwards ladder, and the other 800s.  The only thing we have decided upon is that we are going to coordinate our outfits.  Black shorts and pink tops will surely help us win...right?
  • I read a statistic that 1 in 20 type 1 diabetics will die from low blood sugar in their sleep.  Normally, statistics don't effect me.  However, for some reason, this one has not left my mind.  I feel like 5% is an incredibly high number.  Honestly, there have been many times where I wonder if I'll be one of the 5%, which scares me.  I want to be part of the 95%.
  • On Saturday I was going to go to the Chicago Running Bloggers holiday meet-up.  But, on Friday I got a text from a lady in my running club whose daughter is diabetic.  She was going a presentation at her school and asked if I could come and support her.  After weighing the options, I decided that supporting this girl was more important than me going to Chicago.  I know I made the correct choice.  
  • I fell while running on the path tonight with my friend.  I simply tripped and went down.  I have a bloody hand and two scrapes on my knees.  This is the second time I've fallen since August.  I have reached a new all-time record for personal clumsiness.  
  • I picked my goal races for 2013.  Granted, I reserve the right to change them if I want to, but I have big goals and think they are attainable.  I'm hoping my training is top-notch.  
  • I might run more miles this year than last year.  Considering I didn't run for an entire, month, I consider this a huge accomplishment.  
  • I do not believe the world is going to end.  My running club is celebrating life continuing on on Saturday with a group run. 

2 comments:

  1. Aww, this post makes me want to give you a hug! I am sorry the race made you feel so crummy, and that you have been so busy, fell, and are worried about that stat. But! I think you are the 95%! You are in lower percentage for being a speedy runner (top 10%!0 but I think you are on the average side for that other stat, tee hee ;)

    Happy you were able to help with that presentation! I would be lying if I said I did not miss you on Saturday though :)

    I am anxious to hear what you guys decide on the relay!!!

    Happy you had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome in my eyes no matter what!!
    i've missed your blog though, that I will admit to.

    ReplyDelete