Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston Marathon - First Thoughts

Over the past 5 days, I have felt such a wide array of emotions.  It was a weekend filled with excitement, nervousness, celebration, triumph, and tragedy.  However, after returning home to Chicago today, the emotion that resonates the most is that of love.  Luckily, I was already across the finish line and on my way to the family reunion area when the bombs went off.  I didn't know what was going on, which is probably for the best.  It wasn't until a man at the restaurant i was at told us about the finish line that I really realized what was happening.  But, I was by my parents, and my sister was texting me like mad.  Cell phone service was sketchy, and I would end up getting numerous text messages all at once and then not have service for the next 10 minutes.  Getting back to our hotel was another adventure, one that I felt scared during.  However, I am amazed of all of the love that was shown in Boston.

The love was shown in ways both big and small, by those that I know very well and those who I don't know at all.  From a guy in my running group making sure everyone from the group that was running was safe to my sister doing everything she could from the west coast to texts and messages and emails from friends and family.

This was a special weekend, one that was designed around a race.  But running the race was the least important detail in the end.  This weekend showed me the various ways that love manifests itself in the world today, especially in the wake of such a horrific act.

1 comment:

  1. I thought about you the most. When you commented on my FB status I was the most relieved. I had hoped and assumed you would have crossed the finish line by then but I wasn't exactly thinking coherently as I was madly trying to get in touch with everybody.

    i want to say CONGRATULATIONS to a marathon well run no matter what.

    All the best

    ReplyDelete