Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Triathlon Talk: I'm Afraid of the Swim

I'm doing my first ever triathlon on Sunday and I'm beyond nervous mainly about the swim, but I have another issue as well.

The swim is its own beast for me.  Growing up, I took swim lessons until I passed the beginner level.  I don't know if they ever taught us how to swim different strokes, but if they did I clearly do not remember.  And teaching yourself swimming strokes as an adult is hard work!  Or, perhaps I am just a really, really slow learner.

I know I won't drown because I can float on my back, but my swimming form can easily be compared to that of a toddler, except I don't wear arm floaties.  There are many times I wish I did, though.  My goal for the race is to survive the swim.  The biking and running part of the race should be fairly easy for me.

In addition to worrying about the swim, I also have this fear that I will be last out of the water and in the race.  I have to remind myself that I am trying something totally new, something I have never done before and I should't expect to place high in my age group.  But, my mind has been trained to think otherwise.  When I first started running, the very first race I ever ran I won.  I'm not super fast or anything, but I usually do fairly well in races.  I am pretty confident I will be able to pass a lot of people on the run, and maybe a few on the bike, but I am deathly afraid of being the last one in the reservoir.

It also probably doesn't help that I am going into the race without taper at all.  So far this week I've ran 27 miles, which averages out to 9 a day.  Fresh legs....what does that feel like?

Let's hope I survive so I can tell you the story of my first triathlon.

1 comment:

  1. You'll be fine! Just remember to breathe! I failed the 3rd level of swimming lessons twice (you know, like 2 steps above water wings) when my mom decided I'd never learn. Self taught as an adult, but awful form. Just remember that you can backstroke for a while if you get overwhelmed, and you can kill it on the bike or the run. Most triathlons are not won with the swim. The bike or run or more determinant. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

    P.S. I don't know if I've commented since you've started blogging again, but welcome back! I missed your posts!

    ReplyDelete